How to Properly Install a Convertible Car Seat
Are you a newly married couple and you have children and want to ride your car to go for a travel with them? If all of the answers are in the affirmative, then you need to change the position of your car seat and make it a comfortable one for your children. To ensure the utmost safety of your beloved one you need you to install your car seat according to their age and gender. We think nobody wants to see their beloved one to get injured while riding a car.
Why Installing Convertible Car Seat is Important
A study shows that due to the lack of installing a car seat properly most of the people died after an accident. Most of the time children are the ones badly affected of a car crash. In order to change the current situation, you need to take the necessary steps and initially, you can take it from installing a convertible car seat in your car.
According to the Center for Disease Control and Prevention, there are more than 650 children under the age of 12 who died as occupants in crashes involving motor vehicles and more than 140,000 children were also injured in 2011 in the U.S. They also conducted a study from which they discovered that more than 618,000 children between the ages of 0 – 12 rode in vehicles without using a booster seat or child safety seat in just one year. And out of all those casualties, 33% of the toddlers were not safely buckled.
Another study shows that installing convertible car seat you can reduce up to 45% injuries among tith a LATCH method. he children at the age of between 4 to 8 years. From all the above-mentioned data we hope, you can now understand why you need to install a convertible car seat in order to ensure the safety of your children.
Now after knowing the importance of convertible car seat, you are wondering which car seat will be continent for you. For your help, we are providing a guideline which will help you to distinguish among the best and safe convertible car seat among other seats available in the market.
- Ease of Installation– If you do not install the seat correctly then your baby may not be properly restrained. So avoid buying a seat that requires an engineering degree to figure out how to install it.
- Type of Harness– choose a seat which has a five-point harness i.e. has two shoulder straps, two hip straps, and a crotch strap. This transfers crash forces to the strongest parts of a child’s body, hips and shoulders, so minimizing injury in the event of a crash.
- Tethers– since 2002 all car seats are required to have special anchors for attaching the seat directly to the vehicle rather than securing it with the vehicle’s own seat belt. This is known as the LATCH system is designed to make installation easier and safer.
- Belt Adjustment– choose a seat which allows you to belt adjustment from the front and not from the back of the seat.
- Comfort– This is the most important part that you need to be careful while buying a convertible car seat. Because you’re your children don’t feel comfortable then there is no value of that seat. You need to ensure that there is enough freedom so that he or she can spread his or her arm free and the seat is well padded. Moreover, you should take into account the size of the child and choose one that is suitable for not only a child’s weight and standing height, but a child’s seated shoulder height as well.
The Method of Installing Convertible Car Seat
There are a few methods to install them you can choose among them according to your need.
- Front Facing Installation– Convertible car seat can face forward or backward. If you want, you can install your it as a front facing w
Without using the LATCH method, you can install it as well. Actually, the installing task is not so hard or troublesome task. In most of the countries, it is lawful to rotate it from backward to forward facing at a weight of 20 lbs. as well as at the age of 1.
You should know that forward facing kid seat is the primary stage apparatus which is under the sort of Group 1 where the child is placed frontward facing.
- Installation with LATCH– For the installing task, first you have to take out the connectors of the LATCH from cargo space if they are piled up. After that, you have to drag equally connectors by the front facing belt slot at the frontage of it.
It is important to make certain that they are both on the correct side. You have to fix the LATCH connector next to you which is comfortable for you. Then turn it into the appropriate frontward place, and then fix the extra connector to the lingering anchor.
- Installation with Belt– Thread your car belt by the frontward facing slot and in the backside of its seat. Tie up the belt and pushing down on it to make tighter. Then you have to make certain that the belt is not distorted.
Turn the lock-off lever down on the opposite side of the car belt buckle to unlock prior to binding its belt if applying shoulders, the belt, and a lap. When dragging the shoulder belt taut, turn the lever back up once more. Finally, you should make sure the car’s seat does not shift more than 1 inch in any position at the belt lane.
- Rear Facing Installation– National Highway Traffic Safety Administration declares that around 85 percent of car seats are inappropriately installed. But, installing it properly is indeed an important task. You should do it properly.
To install the seat appropriately, first, you have to put the seat in the center of the rear seat of your car. Then you have to fold up recline stand below the seat.
Now we can hope that you have understood the importance of a convertible car seat and the process to install them in your cars. Choosing the right convertible seat will help you to ensure the safety of your children and beloved one.