5 Best Jumper Cables for Cars
Jumper cables definitely belong to the list of the most critical pieces of equipment for your vehicle. Although it might look like a very simple item, its function is significant. No matter how new your battery is, you can’t be so sure that you will have enough power for an easy start. Even the best battery will drain quickly if you have some malfunctions in your car’s electric installation.
Your alternator may not work well, or there might be a short circuit somewhere. After all, your battery will quickly drain if you forget to turn off all devices inside your car. Lights, air conditioning, and radio are some of the most common power consumers that people usually forget to turn off.
Finally, there is a thing called winter. If you live in parts of the world where winter days are cold, you know that there is nothing worse than cold morning starts. In regular weather conditions, your battery might seem ok, but freezing days will significantly reduce its capacity for sure. Those are some of the most common situations that could cause battery issues.
Despite such a great number of potential problems, people usually see jumper cables as a simple piece of equipment. Frankly, they actually are pretty simple. However, that doesn’t mean that you should go for some cheap product. The most important thing about jumper cables is reliability. You need cables that will always be able to provide enough power from a good battery. In most cases, light duty cables will work just fine. On the other hand, if you drive some bigger auto, such as utility or commercial vehicle, heavy duty cables would be a better choice. These will provide a better current flow, which means more cranking amperes.
Jumper cables have one pretty simple function – to conduct the power from good to bad battery in order to provide enough energy for an easy start. Considering this simple function, the design of this piece of equipment is simple as well. There are two pieces of cable, which usually come in two colors. Red cable connects positive clamps, while black cable connects negative ones (but it could be blue as well).
Although this bypass could seem like an easy task, it is important to connect two batteries in a proper way. Otherwise, you may face some pretty dangerous issues. The battery is full of serious, inflammable chemicals. A wrong connecting could cause sparks, which could cause pretty intense explosions.
Here is a quick guide for a proper use of jumper cables:
- Find a car with good battery and park it close. Still, two cars mustn’t be in contact because of potential short circuit
- Turn off the vehicle with the good battery and remove keys from both cars
- Plug the positive (Red) clamp of the positive terminal of the bad battery
- Plug the positive (Red) clamp to the positive terminal of the good battery
- Plug the negative (Black/Blue) clamp to the negative terminal of the good battery
- Plug the negative (Black/Blue) clamp to the chassis of the car. It could be any part of the car that is of solid metal. The most common places are frame or screws that hold shock absorbers. IMPORTANT! Do not plug to the terminal of the bad battery! This is one of the most common mistakes which can cause an explosion
- Start the car with good battery and let it run for a few minutes
- Crank the car with the bad battery
- Remove cables in reverse order
Here is our choice of five best jumper cables that you can find around:
5. OxGord 4 Gauge 500 Amp Extra Long 25-Feet Jumper Cables with Carry Case Bag
If you need a good-quality jumper cable but don’t want to spend a big amount of money, this product is a good choice for you. It is a highly reliable cable, which will never let you down. It has only one function – to provide enough power to the bad battery to start the vehicle, and it does it excellently. There are four hi-quality pinches that promise long-term use, while 25-feet long cables provide easy reach in every situation. Another great thing about these jumper cables is that they come in a pretty compact pack, which is also very light (around 6 pounds) All in all, a great value for the price.
- Brand: OxGord
- Item Weight: 6 pounds
- Product Dimensions: 17 x 13 x 7 inches
- Size: 4 Gauge 25 Feet
4. TOPDC 100% Copper Heavy Duty Booster Jumper Cables 4 Gauge 300AMP 20 Feet (4Ga x 20Ft) with Travel Case Bag and Safety Gloves
These jumper cables might sound expensive to someone, but this is a hi-quality product. It will push the bad battery from any vehicle no matter if it is a common passenger car, motorcycle, truck, or SUV. All parts of these cables are made of hi-grade materials. Four-gauge cables look so solid that could probably last for ages. Additionally, cables are 20 inches long, which is enough for any kind of situation, even for a front to back truck hook up. Clamps are also very solid and won’t get loose for years. When packed, these cables are very compact – 12.6 x 12.4 x 3.6 inches. A complete package has around 8.33 pounds. A non-woven bag, gloves, and safety glasses are included as well.
- Brand: TOPDC
- Item Weight: 8.33 pounds
- Package Dimensions: 12.6 x 12.4 x 3.6 inches
- Size: 20ft
3. Always Prepared Jumper Cables 4 Gauge, Extra Long (20 Feet) High Capacity (400 AMP) Tough Insulation
You definitely won’t go wrong with these jumper cables. This product offers a perfect balance between price and quality. 20-feet long heavy duty cables will connect two batteries in any kind of situations and provide enough power in just a few minutes even in frozen days. Cables come in a very nice bag, while clamps seem pretty solid. These cables are quite long, but still compact when you pack them. Packed in a bag this product measures 12.8 x 8.1 x 3.9 inches, while weight goes around 5 pounds. All parts are made of a great quality, which promises a long-term use.
- Brand: Always Prepared
- Item Weight: 5 pounds
- Package Dimensions: 12.8 x 8.1 x 3.9 inches
- Size: 20 feet
2. EPAuto 4 Gauge x 20 Ft 500A Heavy Duty Booster Jumper Cables with Travel Bag and Safety Gloves (4 AWG x 20 Feet)
EPAuto is a highly renowned manufacturer of car accessories, so it’s not wondering that few of its products are on our list. This product is actually a complete kit which includes not only jumper cables, but also accessories like bag, gloves, and safety glasses. The overall quality is on a pretty high level. 20-feet 4-gauge cables are made of hi-quality materials and will provide a long-term use and enough power for a smooth start of all kinds of vehicles, including cars, motorcycles, trucks etc. When packed, this product measures 12.8 x 12.7 x 3.3 inches, while overall weight goes around 6.15 pounds.
- Brand: EPAuto
- Item Weight: 6.15 pounds
- Package Dimensions: 12.8 x 12.7 x 3.3 inches
- Size: 4 Gauge x 20 Feet
1. Cartman Booster Cable 4 Gauge x 20Ft in Carry Bag (4AWG x 20Ft) UL-Listed
The winner on our list has everything jumper cables need. This hi-quality product comes not only with durable 4-gauge cables but also with excellent clamps. These clamps feature a unique twice-grip design which provides a double connection with battery terminal. They are designed to fit both side-terminal and top-post batteries. Count on smooth work in cold days. 20-feet long cables provide easy reach in all situations. When packed, it measures 10.9 x 10.8 x 3.7 inches, and have total weight around 5.16 pounds. An excellent value for the money.
- Brand: CARTMAN
- Item Weight: 5.16 pounds
- Package Dimensions: 10.9 x 10.8 x 3.7 inches
- Size: 4AWG x 20Ft
The most important thing about jumper cables is safety. No matter which option you’ll pick, make sure to use this piece of equipment correctly. This guide can help you prevent most common mistakes and enjoy the best performance of your battery.